Princess Cruises have recently undergone changes to the way in which guests cruise. Changes such as emergency drills, booking dining and checking in, to name a few. All these have been made to enhance the guest experience, which starts even before you board your Princess cruise ship. All their cruise ships have now been given the Medallion Class experience. And you manage your Medallion Class cruise through a digital portal called an Ocean Medallion.
Read on to find out more, it’s not as difficult as it seems and there are options for you to manage your Medallion Class even if you are not a smart phone user.
What is the Medallion Class Experience?
The Medallion Class experience in a way to customize your cruise experience onboard.
After you have planned and booked your cruise, download the Medallion Class app Ocean Ready to your smart photo. This is an easy way to get started customizing your booking. If you don’t have a smart phone, don’t worry, and you will be able to do everything via the in-cabin TV screen, or on digiscreens around the cruise ship.
Via the app do the following:
- Add your reservation number
- Upload all your travel documents before you leave home using the instructions in your booking. You can do this for members of your party if you have their travel documents handy.
- Take your photo and upload it to your booking.
- Order your Ocean Medallion. This is a coin-sized waterproof wearable device that use onboard. You can select to have it delivered to your home address or pick it up at onboard checkin.
The app also enables you to do the following:
- Locate guests in your party or family members and send them a message
- Easily find your way around the ship using the navigation option
- Enjoy an online casino or card game with their “sports book” option
- Join in interactive games onboard
- Get pool-side towels delivered
- Make pre-purchases
- Book restaurants
- Fast check in and boarding
Booking WiFi on a Medallion Class cruise
Princess Cruises Ocean Ready app allows you to purchase a WiFi package. Note that the app itself works without you having to buy an internet package. But if you do want to send emails, stream, or send texts to folks back home then you will need an onboard internet package. Princess call this Medallion Net. It will be less expensive if you purchase a package before you travel, compared to onboard prices.
How does the Ocean Medallion Work?
Your Ocean Medallion is sent to your by post before you cruise or you collect it at checkin onboard the ship. Whilst your Ocean Medallion with come with a lanyard, you may want to customize how you carry it by purchasing a necklace or bracelet from the cruise line. Personally we prefer wearing it on our wrist and buy the comfortable sports band. Your medallion will be black, red, silver, blue or gold according to your membership status.
Your Ocean Medallion will enable the following:
- Touchless opening of your cabin door
- Use in the casino as identification
- Pay for your shopping onboard
- The Medallion also lets the crew know where you are, so if you order a drink for example they can find you to bring it to you. If you do not want this option you can turn it off by selecting “safety only” and after that Ocean Medallion will only be used for any payments you make, for identification, and for access into your stateroom.
- Your Ocean Medallion also enables your room steward to see if you have left your cabin so they can take care of room service in the mornings.
Princess Cruises makes changes to dining times
Princess Cruises no longer have set dining times. They “Dine My Way” concept means you dine whenever you like. Dine My Way can be applied to dining in the Main Dining room or at the Specialty Restaurants for prebooking your restaurant choice and dining time.
Use the app on your smartphone to make a booking at your chosen restaurant or at the main dining room, or visit them when you get onboard to make a booking in person.
If you prefer to eat at the buffet restaurant or the popular International Cafe, you can just turn up when you like without prebooking.
Emergency drills onboard Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Plus Fare – what it is and is it worth it?
We think Princess Cruises “Plus Fare” is good value.
Plus Fare means you upgrade your booking to include onboard WiFi, beverages and gratuities. What this entails is:
- Wifi on one device at a time. If you want to use WiFi on more devices at any one time then upgrade to include as many devices as you need and just pay the difference in cost.
- Beverage package that offers a maxium of 15 alcoholic drinks per day within a 24 hour period, each drink up to a maximum of $12. It is especially good value if you are a family with children.
- Prepaid gratuities so you don’t have to think about tipping onboard. It is a fixed fee you pay in advance.
To get the Princess Cruises Plus Fare this must be chosen at the time of booking or before you travel for all guests sharing the same cabin.